Tailored Solutions for Nano-related R&D Needs
NCL has amassed a large knowledge base about the multitude of available nanoparticle platforms, characterization techniques and nuances, and nanoparticle biocompatibility throughout its 10+ years providing the Assay Cascade characterization service. NCL now leverages this expertise to conduct sponsor-funded R&D for applications that fall outside of the Assay Cascade constraints. While the Assay Cascade is restricted to characterization of oncology-based nanomedicines, cCRADA collaborations are not. These projects can involve non-oncology nanomaterials, such as nanomedicines for other health indications or environmental nanoparticles, mechanistic investigations not covered by the Assay Cascade testing, nanotech reformulation projects and more. Please see an abbreviated list of some of the types of cCRADA projects the NCL can assist with below. All cCRADA projects are highly customized and will have a specifically tailored research plan developed in collaboration with the sponsor. Any researcher with a nanotech-related need can apply.
Similarly, the budgets for each project are negotiated on a case-by-case basis, depending on the outlined research plan and statement of work. As a point of reference, NCL has conducted short (6-12 months) reformulation projects in the range of $25,000 - $150,000. Multi-year method development and validation studies, lead selection and optimization studies, and characterization studies of multiple (20+) nanomaterials have typically ranged $200,000 - $400,000. As a contractor for FNLCR, NCL does not profit from these collaborations, and can only charge for costs incurred. Costs for cCRADA projects are required to be paid in full before a project can start; any remaining funds at the end of the contract will be returned to the sponsor.
What We Do
- Formulation, Optimization, Lead Selection. Design and production of nanoformulations to achieve intended biological endpoints. Experience with small molecules, biologics, and gene therapies.
- Mechanistic Studies. In vitro and/or in vivo studies to identify mechanisms of efficacy or toxicity.
- Non-Oncology Nanomaterials. Nanomedicines for other therapeutic indications, EHS characterization of engineered nanomaterials, etc.
- Bioanalytical Assay Development. Development and validation of assays for lot release, biological activity, bioequivalence, and more.
- Instrument Optimization. NCL works with instrument developers to improve analytical tools to best meet the needs of the nanotech research community.
- And more...Contact us to see how we can help.
Work for these projects is initiated through contractor Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (cCRADAs) with Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc., the operations and technical support contractor for the Frederick National Lab. Projects are considered for cCRADAs on a case-by-case basis throughout the year, taking into consideration NCL’s capabilities and resources, alignment with NCL and NCI’s research interests, and potential impact towards improving nanomedicine R&D. Interested parties can fill out the submission form below to initiate discussions. Please contact us for any questions or for more information.